Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A new season ...

Ok, as I promised I am writing something like a preview for my first game of the season on this upcoming Saturday. But, I also want to write about my expectations for this season in general and the things that were going on since I got promoted to 1st division.

For the game on Saturday, I am really exciting. I am looking forward to being there. This summer was my first summer in a very long time without any basketball for more than 3 months. Therefore, I really want this season to start. The game itself will be the top game in the league. Both teams went deep in the playoffs last year and are contenders, if not for the title, then for another playoff berth. Both teams started this season with impressive wins. The game will be played in a new gym, probably in front of a sell-out crowd (that means more than 5000 crazy fans in the stands). So there will be a lot of pressure and emotions. Regular season games here in Europe are different from, let's say, the NBA. Since schedules are not as packed, usually there are only between 28 and 34 regular season games, every single game matters regarding playoff qualifications. In short, this will be a big game. Probably bigger than most of the games I have on my schedule in October ...

Anyway, no matter what kind of game it's going to be, there are a couple of things I want to do:
  • First of all, I want to prepare myself for this game. I am in really good shape, physically. But I want to be ready mentally as well. This means I will watch a lot of dvd tonight, and the next 2 days to visualize the points of emphasis and new rule interpretations for this season.
  • I want to rest before the game to arrive relaxed. So, I will take an earlier train and go to my hotel before the game to get some sleep.
  • Right before the game, in the gym I will follow my personal routine, warming up, stretching, visualization, and so on. Therefore, I will have to be open and talk about my needs with my partners (e.g. to make sure the pre-game doesn't take too much time).
  • During the game I will do a lot of self-talk to keep a positive attitude, stay focused and relaxed (balance is the key), and be approachable.
We will see how that works out ...

All the points I mentioned here are closely related to my objectives for the season on which I agreed with my assignor. As a matter of fact, all my colleagues had to write and sign a document, where they defined their personal objectives and how they'll try to achieve them in order to add to the success of the league and the game of Basketball in general. It's a new concept, but I personally think it is a great idea. Referees need to think more about their roles, what they can/should do, and what not.

Now, that we have come all the way to my goals ... here is one last goal: I want to be a playoff ref this year ;-)

So long for today. Cheers
BBallRef

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home